This statement covers the site www.smithmag.net (“SMITH”) and sixwordmemoirs.com (SWM). Please read this statement carefully before using proceeding to access SMITH and/or SWM. Your use of SMITH and/or SWM indicates your agreement to abide by the Terms in effect.
Magsmith, LLC is the sole owner of the information collected on www.smithmag.net and sixwordmemoirs.com. SMITH and SWM may collect information from our users at several different points on our Web site.
In order to enhance their use of this Web site, users can choose to leave comments in particular articles of interest. To leave a comment, users must submit information including a valid email address. SMITH and SWM use this information to screen out users who leave comments prohibited by our terms and conditions of use, and will not pass this information to any other organization.
In order to sign up to receive regular emails from the SMITH Magazine and SWM mailing lists, users must submit information including a valid email address and demographic information such as location and interests. This information will be used in aggregate form only in order to assess general user interest in various internal and third party products and services, and your personal and contact information will not be sold to any other organization. Users who choose to sign up for the mailing list will receive regular emails from SMITH and SWM, including new articles added to the site as well as emails from third party SMITH and SWM site sponsors. If you do not wish to receive emails from third party sponsors, do not sign up for the mailing list.
In instances in which SMITH and SWM work with editorial partners on story projects, contests, and other engagements, you may receive a partner-sponsored email from SMITH and/or SWM. At that point, you will have the option to opt-out of future mailings from that partner. We will not share any other personal information to a partner or advertiser at any time.
(Updated and effective on May 22, 2018)
What are Cookies?
- Cookies are small data files stored on your browser or device. They may be served by the entity that operates the website you are visiting (“first-party cookies”) or by other companies (“third-party cookies”). For example, we partner with third-party analytics providers, like Google, which set cookies when you visit our websites. This helps us understand how you are using our websites so that we can improve them.
- Pixels are small images on a web page or in an email. Pixels collect information about your browser or device and can set cookies.
- Local storage allows data to be stored locally on your browser or device and includes HTML5 local storage and browser cache.
- Although most browsers and devices accept cookies by default, their settings usually allow you to clear or decline cookies. If you disable cookies, however, some of the features of our services may not function properly.
- To prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, you can install Google’s opt-out browser add-on.
- For information on how our advertising partners allow you to opt out of receiving ads based on your web browsing history, please visit http://optout.aboutads.info/. European users may opt out of receiving targeted advertising through the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance.
Third Party Cookies
Third Party Advertising
The ads appearing on this Web site are delivered to users by Litsense, and Google, and other services may be added from time to time. Information about users’ visit to this site, such as number of times they have viewed an ad (but not username, date of birth, or any other personal information), is used to serve ads to users on this site. For more information about Google and cookies, please click here.
Like most standard Web site servers we use log files. This includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses, etc. are not linked to personally identifiable information. We may use a tracking utility that uses log files to analyze user movement.
Though we make every effort to preserve user privacy, SMITH and SWM may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on our Web site.
In the event SMITH and/or SWM goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of a portion of its assets, users’ personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
The SMITH and SWM websites contain links to other sites. Please be aware that we, SMITH and SWM, are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every Web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by SMITH and SWM.
Notification of Changes