SixContest Winners! Our top 6 “firsts” in six words
six-word-memoir-header-aqua

July’s Memoirist of the Month: Dick Peterson

“Reading and writing Sixes provides a creative spark, as does commenting and conversing with the other Sixers. What a weapon against writer’s block it is. Seeing what other people do with words makes you a better writer.”

Name: Dick Peterson
Place: Kansas City
SMITH Member since: July 2010
Since Dick Peterson joined SMITH in 2010, much of his writing has been about…writing. From “Let it be written…and read” to “Don’t sit on it. Write it,” Dick has motivated himself and countless others to transform their thoughts into written words. Even his clever moniker pays homage to his beloved homeland and his yearning to write about it—Baton Rouge translates to Red Stick, he’s better known to the SMITH Community as RedStickWriter.

Dick lives in Kansas City, but explains he’s “a Missourian by employment, a Louisianan by birth, a Southerner by the grace of God, and a Tybee Islander at heart.” Currently writing his second novel, he says that his work in progress “is set in these places of intimate familiarity to me.”

While Dick has been selective with his submissions, we’ve noticed a steady rise in memoirs in recent months. Perhaps it should come as no surprise that come the end of July, Dick retires from banking after a career spanning more than four decades. With his own recent six words—“Banking career sunsetting, writing ideas dawning”—as inspiration, we’re so pleased to name Dick Peterson July’s Memoirist of the Month. Congratulations on the Spreadshirt T-shirt of your choice and, more importantly, on having more time to “write a Six, then a chapter.”

When did you start writing, and what have been turning points in your creative life?
I have always enjoyed writing. A cousin showed a manuscript-in-progress to me when he was in the sixth grade and I was in the fourth. His work was to be a sequel to the Baum’s Oz books. That he decided to write a book, especially at that young age, and actually got stuff down on the page made a huge impression on me. From that moment until I finished the last word of By the Light: A Novel of Serial Homicide, I wanted to write a book. The final version was probably the twentieth one I started.

When I was in the seventh grade, I wrote a book report. It earned an A. I earned A’s on other book reports before and after, but the reason that one stands out is that the book on which I reported did not exist. In that instant, I realized the power of fiction.

I tinkered with writing for years and learned more about the craft from my high school journalism teacher, Dorothy Tooke, than from any other person in my life. She taught me to love words, to vary them, to use interesting language, and to understand the power of the written word. For much of my life, I used the knowledge she gave me in professional writing in the banking industry. More than any other skill, I attribute writing for the early ascension of my career.

When I was courting my future wife, Suzie, I became more and more interested in reading fiction, after many previous years of non-fiction reading. She’s a reading machine and inspired me to try to keep up.

I’ve been a banker by trade since 1971 but will call myself a novelist and former banker after I retire on July 31. My blogging and tweeting will increase soon due to an impending absence of interference from the banking industry. I have a Kindle book at Amazon and am currently working on a second novel, both are murder mysteries. My plan is to keep spinning such yarns until my longevity runs out.

Can you share a favorite Six-Word Memoir of yours and tell us why it’s meaningful to you?
Of the memoirs I’ve posted at SMITH, one of my favorites is “Who dunnit? I, author, dunno yet.” It highlights one of my favorite things about my novel writing. Rather than outline, I let the story lead me where it will. This memoir is absolutely true. I haven’t decided who the doer is in the novel I’m currently writing, and I should add that I’m not at the beginning of the story at this point. With my first novel, it amazed me how the story took on its own momentum and sense of direction and how the characters ended up developing into something I didn’t originally imagine.

When I stumbled across SMITH’s Six-Word community, I was immediately enamored and soon addicted. The people who play in the SMITH sandbox are interesting, amusing, inspiring, provocative, creative, and fun. In addition to telling folks about SMITH, I highlight some of my memoirs on Facebook and Twitter, which has caused many friends to become aware of Sixing. Lots of them have become enamored and addicted, too.

Reading and writing Sixes provides a creative spark, as does commenting and conversing with the other Sixers. What a weapon against writer’s block it is. Seeing what other people do with words makes you a better writer. This is one of the reasons why SMITH is such a resource. That, and the general sense of community, make it writer central for me.

What authors inspire you or do you admire?
My favorite author is Pat Conroy. I’ve been in the Midwest since 1992, but my heart will always, at least partially, reside in the South. Pat’s stories, settings, and characters make me ache for the South. A couple of years ago, his South of Broad knocked To Kill a Mockingbird off its decades-long perch atop my heap of favorite novels. Its protagonist and narrator, Leopold Bloom King will remain in my heart and mind forever.

Michael Connelly’s The Poet might be the best suspense novel I’ve ever read, and Stephen King is perhaps the best storyteller alive today. His pure horror stuff I only do as movies, but when he gets into stories of humanity, there are no more magic words to read than those of the King. The Stand and 11/22/63 are among my top ten all-time favorites. And what a clinic in writing and creativity is On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

Novels by two Mississippi writers, John Grisham and Greg Iles, spilled their stories across turf very familiar to me in the Deep South. Reading is so much more exciting when you know the real estate. We have a guy here in Kansas City named Joel Goldman whose legal suspense and private eye stories happen right here in our area. When I read my first Goldman novel, I thought it was pretty cool when the story placed the characters in the Hen House Market a block and a half from my house. I almost felt like I could walk over and watch the scene unfold in the dairy section. The idea of writing a suspense novel on familiar ground, especially in my beloved South, and delivering authentic local flavor appealed to me. It was the last nudge I needed to strike out on the novelist path.

Is there someone’s writing on SMITH that’s especially moved you?
Coleen Goodson, AKA ctgoods2 [Ed. Note: Coleen was April’s Memoirist of the Month], was one of the first friends I found in the Six-Word community. As we got to know each other through comments and messages, I became very impressed with her. She shared some stories she had written, and I was blown away. She works hard at a job all day and finds time to squeeze great family time out of life while sometimes chugging out feature articles, and now she’s working on a novel. I can’t wait. This gal is going to take us for a ride on her words. Actually, she already has been right here at SMITH.

When you’re not writing, what do you enjoy doing?
Bicycling, golfing, reading, Scrabbling, and swimming are among the activities that do it for me. As a Louisiana boy, it goes without saying that I enjoy good food and the socialization that surrounds it. Traveling is something Suzie and I enjoy and look forward to doing more often in retirement, especially visiting our grandchildren and their staffs.

Finally, Dick Peterson, what’s your Six-Word Memoir for today?
Six words can’t say it all.

Comments

• Redx3
    July 1, 2013

Wonderful to meet you! Wishing you well as you embark on this newest journey!

• Coleen
    July 1, 2013

So nice to see my friend so nicely featured. Can’t wait for your second…and third….and fourth… 🙂

• JAD
    July 1, 2013

Congrats! and enjoy your retirement days, months and years ahead.

• lillybrook
    July 1, 2013

So nice to meet you RSW. As a mystery fan, I love your list of favorites, and as a journalism teacher, I appreciate that you appreciate what you learned while putting together a publication. Happy retirement! I’m going to check out your book.

• marymc
    July 1, 2013

Way to go, Dick! A well-deserved honor.

• canadafreeze
    July 1, 2013

So very nice to meet you in a broader light. Double congrats – your upcoming retirement and being featured the same month. Nice symmetry 🙂

• Notjustagirl
    July 1, 2013

So nice to get *your* backstory. Looking forward to seeing more of you, the banking world’s loss is surely our gain.

• MDBanker
    July 1, 2013

Congratulations on this great honor. I know you love sixing! As one who has had the pleasure of reading your book, By the Light: A Novel of Serial Homicide, I have enjoyed your writing and recommend the book to all who love murder mysteries. I’ll miss you when you retire but look forward to keeping in touch through your words.

• Dean
    July 1, 2013

Well sir, I feel like I already knew you – but have now been given more insight into who you are. I like what I see; I’ll have to download By The Light immediately and get to know you all the better! Your contributions here have been among my favorite, RSW, and the place wouldn’t be the same without you. Congratulations on your retirement. Please feel free to share what it’s like – both being a published author and someone with a little free time!

• banjodan
    July 1, 2013

It was great to learn more about you and I am a fan of your memoirs!

• kathi wright
    July 1, 2013

such a nice feature! great to know more about you and i look forward to reading your book(s)!

• RedStickWriter
    July 1, 2013

Thank y’all so much for your nice comments. If I’m counting correctly, four of you who have commented preceded me as MOTM. I feel guilty in two regards. First, I stumbled upon and commented on the MOTM article about one of my frequent playmates in the Six sandbox, namely ctgoods2.

In looking back through all of the articles, I discover that several of my frequent playmates besides ctgoods2 have been in the MOTM spotlight. I’ve been blessed to enjoy and be inspired by MaryMc, L2L3, and BanjoDan for a long time. I already knew a lot about them, but reading their articles made me feel even better about having them as part of my Six family.

Though I’ve not known Bevvie, Kathi Wright, Sisterpoet, Believe, Steve Anthony, three-monkeys, Loon, and JohnBigJohn for quite as long, I have often been entertained and inspired by their contributions. Now I need to rummage around the profile pages of the MOTMs with whom I’ve not intersected to find new entertainment and inspiration. Those would be Sara Lovelace, mzejay, Amapola, aliciacandraw, Callie, Amanda Bausch, Kirk Citron, and Jace Daniel Albao, and I’m looking forward to new friendships with them. I was amused at a Sixish comment made today about one of my recent Sixes. He said, “Six Word Memoirs is not Facebook.” He is so right. Facebook is where you keep up with old friends and family, and it has its place, BUT the Six sandbox is where you build new family with people who share your passion for the written word and all its possibilities.

My second pang of guilt relates to the fact that I have posted just over a hundred memoirs while the other MOTMs have thousands. As I move into retirement, I’ll be contributing more, but I’m telling the truth when I tell you that I have not been a slacker. I get just as much enjoyment making comments of substance on the memoirs of others, and I know I’ve logged thousands of those. Thanks again, and happy Sixing.

• RedStickWriter
    July 1, 2013

Oops. The comment I mentioned about Facebook was made by Coleslaw, and I left out his name.

• KharisJo
    July 2, 2013

I love the quote leading into this feature because it sums up so succinctly what an inspiring community this is. Congratulations on MOTM and may you have many happy retirement hours to devote to your family and writing pursuits.

• Loon
    July 2, 2013

you have a lot to tell… looking forwad the Retired RSW

• Jl333
    July 2, 2013

Lovely feature. Nice to know more about you…

• Jane
    July 2, 2013

congratulations to an old new friend

• notyouraveragegirl
    July 2, 2013

Congratulations on your feature and upcoming retirement. From one banker to another, you inspire me.

• oopsalittle
    July 3, 2013

Lovely to learn more about you. Congratulations on feature and enjoy your well earned retirement.

• DynamicDbytheC
    July 3, 2013

Nice to know you will be writing more. And although I now know the reason for your screen name, I am still pleased to see that you wore red for your photo.

• ErikaStellar
    July 3, 2013

above comment was not supposed to be anonymous… 🙂

• RedStickWriter
    July 4, 2013

Thank you, Anonymous Erika. That Buffett guy must be a handsome devi. In a Six: Salt on the rim honoring him. See there, you can find just about everything in the Land of Sixes, even lost shakers of salt.

Post a Comment