SixContest Winners! Our top 6 “firsts” in six words
six-word-memoir-header-aqua

Classroom of the Month: P.S. 128 High in Westfield, MA

“Too young. Too unaware. Quiet acceptance,” is one Six-Word Memoir from one of Jill Keenan’s students at P.S. 128 High School in Westfield, MA. “My students are awesome,” boasts Keenan, who is clearly doing something right to have such a lovely writer in her classroom. In that spirit, she created a SMITH profile for the whole class and submitted dozens of their six-word memoirs.

Some of my personal favorites are—no shock—about love.

“Ben and Jerry are better boyfriends.” Maybe so, but girlfriend needs to take a hard look at Ben and Jerry’s pictures… and have a heart-to-heart with Chris Hansen.

“One night, one kiss, loved forever.” Remember when kissing was the best thing ever? Le sigh.

I especially the enjoy the morbid and cynical six-word memoirs, such as “The gun won’t save him now” and “Pretty prom dress, cold empty morgue.” These kids have stories.

As a college student and SMITH intern, I have to admit I found myself smiling like an idiot reading, “Under duress from teacher help me,” on my Blackberry while I was sitting in a portfolio seminar where our ridiculously accomplished journalism professors were lecturing us on what was appropriate to put on our Facebook pages. When will we ever get the credibility we deserve? Sometimes we’ve just got to create our own as we seek our own versions of “quiet acceptance.”

Here are all the memoirs from PS 128 (click the link to see).

Post a Comment