Although Thanksgiving is over, sharing gratitude and celebrating our heritage is always in season. For SixContest #87, in conjunction with our upcoming book “Six Words Fresh Off the Boat,” we asked for your Thanksgiving-inspired Sixes about immigration and identity in America. Some entries celebrate special traditions (“Sharing our stories over torn bread.” —CindyT), while others reflect the emigration experience (“Gave us opportunities they didn’t have.” –Neesha101). All of these memoirs give us many reasons to be thankful.
Introducing the Top Six “Welcome to America” memoirs:
6. “We are here. We are home.” —@tommasz (via Twitter)
5. “Thanksgiving Day. Irish eyes were smiling.” —maryjane31
4. “Melting pot’s full, come in anyway.” —JoanTerra
3. “Family. Everything else is just gravy.” —Susan_Breeden
2. “Grandma’s serving platter has survived generations.” —AROD
The memoir that best reflects thankfulness for the American Dream…
1. “Oppression became opportunity; poverty became prosperity.” —LouHope
Congratulations to LouHope on winning a spot in our upcoming book, Six Words Fresh Off the Boat, and thanks to all who participated! Whether in our SixContests, on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr or at sixwordmemoirs.com—keep on Sixing!