Classroom of the Month: John Ferry’s “Image and Form” class at Kansas City Art Institute
six-word-memoir-header-aqua

Memoirist of the Month—January 2018: Tricia Janosy

“I love the love stories and the sixes about redemption and hope and bodily functions. That’s the beauty of the site; everyone is free to be themselves and show all their different sides.”

Name:
 Tricia Janosy
Place: Chicago, Illinois
SMITH Member Since: September 2013

Tricia Janosy knows how to turn everyday events into colorful six-word stories (“Cyberstalking bargains leaves me feeling cheap.”). Known by our community as Trix95, in just six words she’ll make you laugh (“Leaving the circus, taking my monkeys.”)—with a special talent for finding those silver linings (“Shaky ground’s a better dance floor.”), moments that matter (“Time’s run off with my boy”), and backstories that are timeless (“Radio baseball static: heavenly Dad’s communication”). Congratulations to Tricia Janosy as our Memoirist of the Month for January 2018. Discover what makes Tricia a natural part of the Six Words fold as she answers our Six Questions:

How did you first hear about Six-Word Memoirs?
It’s such an odd story that it has to be serendipity. I was mowing the lawn and kind of musing. When my mind wanders, I think about three things: ice cream (when I last had it…and when I might have it again), wine (same) and writing. I’d pretty much mastered the wine and ice cream conundrums and it was time to find an outlet to write. I started googling and found a bunch of different possibilities. I had literally just started Orange Is the New Black and Larry’s name popped out at me. I loved what I read, tried Six Words and I was hooked!

Whenever I have time between appointments, first thing in the morning, when Breaking Bad gets too violent, I pop in. I try to read them all! I love when a riff gets started and takes on a life of its own (the one a few years ago with selfies was one of my all time favorites and I miss the elephant threads). Like everyone else, I get the biggest kick out of Random Word of the Day; even if I don’t have the time/creativity to come up with something, I love seeing what people create with Dean’s prompt. [Ed. Note: RWOTD is posted by power-Sixer ADHDean. One of our favorite RWOTD submissions from Trix95: “Seeking beachy biome to call home.”]

When did you start writing and what have been turning points in your creative life?
I started writing in elementary school; for some inexplicable reason my stories always had families with dozens of kids, probably because I wanted to up my word count which is kind of ironic now. I don’t know that I’ve had anything but turning points; I’ve kind of been traveling in a circle around my wish to write my whole life.

Which authors do you enjoy or admire, including writers on Six-Word Memoirs?
My tastes are currently all over the place, but I’m a long time devotee of Anne Tyler, Ann Patchett, Richard Russo, Jennifer Weiner and Wallace Stegner so I guess my tastes have always been eclectic. No matter the author, though, I’m a notorious end-of-the-book reader. This makes my book club crazy, but ever since Leon Uris’s “Trinity”, I’ve tried to prepare myself for what might be coming. It does not always work.

As the girl who always wants to be invited to the dance, I’m not picking just one partner. Honestly, I really do enjoy them all. I’m probably most drawn to the unexpected turns of phrase/word play and the slice of life sixes. I love the love stories and the sixes about redemption and hope and bodily functions(!). I cherish that perfectly-timed uplifting six, but I don’t even mind the occasional angry six (as long as it’s not directed at another Sixer! After all, we all have our crabby moments). That’s the beauty of the site; everyone is free to be themselves and show all their different sides. Seeing a notification in my mailbox that my Six has been favorited or commented upon really is like hearing from a friend.

Can you share a favorite Six-Word Memoir, or other story of yours on SMITH and tell us why it’s meaningful to you?
Oh gosh, anything related to my family is meaningful to me. I have to say, finding out I was going to be in The Best Advice in Six Words, at a time when I wasn’t even writing (I took a hiatus for a few years) was incredible. A few months after the book came out, my sister actually found my quote on Oprah.com. I was thrilled until I saw that some well-meaning soul had edited it and it was now seven words, which took the bloom off the rose a little bit and kept me from submitting it to my high school newsletter’s “Who’s Winning at Life” column. But it was there, on OPRAH.COM, right near a quote from Amy Poehler. I have witnesses.

When you’re not writing, how do you spend your time and what do you enjoy doing?
I’m a social worker and have worked in a multitude of settings including adoption and hospice, so after 25 years I’ve pretty much hit the entire life cycle and have enjoyed every phase. I’m lucky enough to love what I do which (almost) makes up for my rather sad salary. I’ve been married for more than 22 years to my husband Mark and we have three children aged 20, 18, 16, as well as two dogs and an indestructible box turtle. We love to travel and have taken some wonderful trips to different parts of the world. We live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago, in a town known for its abundance of churches and lack of alcohol; I’m as surprised as anyone we’ve been allowed to stay for over seventeen years. It’s been a wonderful place to raise a family and we have the best neighbors around—it’s a beautiful “village” for sure. I grew up out East, met my husband in Michigan and we spent the first few years of our marriage in California, so my roots are definitely buried all across the U.S.. I run, I read, I work and I’m a compulsive Swifferer. If you uncork it I will come, wine glass and peanut M&M’s in hand. Honestly, I have no real hobbies to speak of but with teenagers poised to move on I better find some. I’m open to suggestions!

Finally, Tricia Janosy, what are your Six Words for today?
“Oprah, I have other works available.”

Comments

• BanjoDan
    January 1, 2018

Happy new year Tricia, it is great to learn more about you, your family, your love of writing and the indestructible box turtle! I enjoy your memoirs and backstories and look forward to reading more in 2018.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thank you Dan! Your writing is an endless source of enjoyment and inspiration; thank you for that as well! Happy New Year!

• Maria V. (Stella_Matutina)
    January 1, 2018

Tricia, I’m so happy to be passing the MOTM torch to you, and to learning more about what inspires you. I’ve enjoyed your lyrical and whimsical memoirs, and I look forward to reading more of them. Best wishes to you and your loved ones for every grace and blessing in the year ahead.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

It’s an honor to follow you, Maria. I look to your peace and grace for guidance and am grateful for your steady presence. Happy New Year!!

• Dean
    January 1, 2018

Congratulations, Tricia! It’s great to get to know you a bit better. May your wine always be tasty and your M&Ms never melt in your hand. Happy New Year to our 2018 inaugural MOTM!

Dean

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thanks Dean for your good wishes and for being our Six Rock! Your RWOTD prompts have given me a jump start to write on days I’m not sure I can find the words. Happy New Year to you and your family!

• JL333
    January 1, 2018

Well there you go…starting off the New Year with a bang! Wow, oh wow, your entire family is so good looking! And now I know we have a shared connection…I also used to have 2 box turtles. During your hiatus, you were missed. I hope you’re here to stay! I enjoy all of your sixes. Congrats on MOTD. So exciting.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thank JL! And thanks most for bringing me a smile every day. Your openness is a gift to us all. Happy happy New Year to you and I hope one day we all get that wine and chocolate gathering!!

• canadafreeze
    January 1, 2018

I love your memoirs and was so happy to see you posting again. They’re so often quirky and whimsical and always hit the “truth” spot. It was great to learn more about one of my favourite SWM writers. Congratulations on an honour well earned. I look forward to reading more from you. Happy 2018!

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thank you for those kind and wonderful words; they mean so much! Your sixes always make me feel like I’m in your warm and welcoming kitchen, with great music playing in the background. Happy New Year to you and yours!

• Skinny
    January 1, 2018

Well, howdy, Tricia! Thank you for introducing yourself and offering this sign that 2018 will be bright, upbeat, and hopeful, like your writing and your spirit. You have a beautiful family, and you are gorgeous indeed. Congratulations and thank you for kicking off this new year!

• Tricia
      January 2, 2018

Skinny, how did I miss this? I hope this translates the right way but I feel like you are the Scarecrow to my Dorothy; I always look for your sixes and your comments and they mean SO much to me. Thanks for being such an endless support and supplier of laughs, understanding and heart. xo

• JAD
    January 1, 2018

Hello! Pretty lady welcome back. Love your. backstory and. such a lovely family. Indeed. Keep writing love your memoirs.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thanks so much! And please know you and your son are in my thoughts; your strength is truly amazing and your sly sense of humor always catches me delightfully by surprise. Wishing you a 2018 of peace and good health for you and those you love.

• JL333
    January 1, 2018

And if we ever have a sixer gathering, we will all have ice-cream, topped with peanut M&M’s, and we’ll wash it all down with wine.

• Ksan
    January 1, 2018

Happy New Year 2018 T! A great way to start it off by seeing you and your lovely family. I predict that you and Oprah will have more intersections ahead 🙂

Keep writing it down, you are interesting to read and have a strong voice.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Ksan, your thoughtful comments and gentle encouragement always touch my heart. The fact you called me T (and have continued to do so) is another sign to me of your genuine kindness and desire to connect and help others feel connected. Thank you and happy 2018 to you!

• Ellis Reyes
    January 1, 2018

Congratulations and Happy New Year — What a wonderful way to start 2018.

• catsmeow
    January 1, 2018

Lovely, all the way around! Your wit and gracious nature shine through this bio and all your wonderful Sixes.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thank you Ellis! I look forward to your wise teacher musings in 2018. 🙂 All the best to you and your family in the new year!

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thank you so much! You truly are the catsmeow; I think I “favorite” just about everything you write! Happy New Year!

• Monty (tonyglim)
    January 1, 2018

Congratulations, Tricia! What a great way to start the New Year! I enjoy reading your Six-Word Memoirs. Happy New Year to you and yours!

• Tricia
      January 3, 2018

Thanks so much Monty/TG! I am a fan of your work for sure. 🙂 Happy 2018!!

• J3nny
    January 1, 2018

Oh my goodness! You’re smart, funny AND beautiful! Trifecta of awesomeness.

This is the perfect way to start a new year….with you kicking it off. I love your sixes, laugh really hard at many of your comments and search for you whenever I log on.

Congratulations Trix. You really, REALLY deserve this.

xo. Jen

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

OK you just really need to be my neighbor… i would like to hear these words every day (and say them right back at ya, natch.). You know I’m a fan girl; you bring so much joy to our site and, well, to ME. . Thanks for that and for all of your support and (most importantly) for laughing at my jokes. xo

• Krystyna
    January 1, 2018

Well, hello, Tricia!

So great to meet you again and learn more about you. I love your creative and inspiring Sixes.
    Congratulations on being the first MOTM for 2018!

Krystyna

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thank you Krystyna! You are, and have always been, so kind to me (and to all on this site). Thank you for your endless support. Happy New Year!!

• Amy
    January 1, 2018

Congratulations, Tricia and a happy New Year to you! I always look forward to reading your six-word memoirs; I love your humor, encouragement, and insight. What an additional treat to learn more about you. 🙂 Enjoy being MOTM! You deserve every moment of it!

All the best,
    Amy (Liza)

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Hi Amy! Thanks so much! If there was an award for best MOTM photo, yours would win. I get such delight from your writing and you infuse such warmth into all of your sixes. I hope this new year brings you all that your heart (and home) desires!

• Susan (zsuzsu)
    January 1, 2018

Congrats on starting the New Year with being MOTM, Tricia! A well-deserved honor, as for us, too, to read your story adding it to your enjoyable Memoirs.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thank you Susan! I love your writing and your ability to tell a truly moving story so succinctly. Happiest of new years to you and yours!!

• DynamicDbytheC/DDC
    January 1, 2018

Tricia Trix are for kids. Now I know why I connect with your memoirs. We both have the Midwest and California deep in our spirits. Can’t believe I missed some of your gems. “Shaky ground’s a better dance floor,” has me spinning. And so, so cool on the Oprah thing. I can only dream.

• Tricia
      January 1, 2018

Thanks Danette!! You’ve taken my breath away with your raw and beautiful sixes; you are a writer of such brave tenderness, great humor and excellent political insight that it’s only a matter of time before Oprah finds you. 🙂 Here’s hoping 2018 is a journey of laughter, good health, and dreams realized for you!! xo

• Krista (SouthPorch)
    January 1, 2018

Hello, Tricia! Congratulations on being January’s MOTM! Deserved recognition for sure! Loved reading more about you. It’s always fun to find out more about the terrific Sixers on this site! Your thoughtfulness is certainly appreciated in the responses you make to me and other sixers. Happy happy NEW YEAR to you. Looking forward to your playful and meaningful words in 2018!

• Tricia
    January 1, 2018

Thank you my porch sister! I would love the chance to sit on one of our porches and talk about books (among other things!); I know you too are an Isabel Allende fan. 🙂 Your sixes are always so smart and filled with such heart; I enjoy them immensely. Hope you have a wonderful 2018!!

• Wackjob
    January 2, 2018

Now that I know you appreciate Sixes of the bodily function genre, I will redouble my efforts to amuse you with all things scatalogical and perverse.

Sounds like you have already lived a full life, lucky girl.

• Tricia
      January 2, 2018

I think you have got the genre well covered, but thank you! And you are correct, I have worked hard to enjoy and appreciate this wonderful life. Happy New Year!

• liberata
    January 2, 2018

I enjoyed seeing your photos and getting to know you better! Happy New Year of Writing, Tricia!

• Tricia
      January 2, 2018

Thank you Barbara! I always appreciate your lovely and lyrical sixes. And I too love a Zumba class. 🙂 Happy 2018 to you and your family!!

• G_Austin
    January 2, 2018

Tricia – It seems my previous post did not… Post.
    I wanted to say Congratulations. So nice to get to know you and learn about your love a reading. Thank you also for all you do in the field of Social Work. What a wonderful way to start the New Year!

• Tricia
      January 3, 2018

Thank you Guy! I feel like i have only recently “discovered” your work; we must not be on line at the same time and I miss out. 😉 You are SUCH a talented writer; I am going to enjoy going through all of your sixes. Thanks so much for your kind words and for your book list!! All the best to you in 2018!

• Lisa
    January 2, 2018

Congratulations! As a compulsive Swifferer, lover of wine, and peanut M&Ms, and injured runner, we are kindred spirits. May you have a great 2018 filled with adventures!

• Tricia
      January 2, 2018

Thank you Lisa! I would consider it an honor to be a kindred spirit of yours; I so enjoy and appreciate your writing! We Swifferlovers need to stick together. 🙂 I hope your injury heals quickly and you are back to running on happy trails soon.
      Have a winderful 2018!!

• Silken
    January 2, 2018

A perfect choice, an absolutely lovely lady.
    Loved seeing you featured here.

• Tricia
      January 2, 2018

Maggy, thank you! You are just so dear; your kindness is infallible and somehow always timed to when I need it most. Your soothing writing is a balm and your love story with Pow something for us all to aspire to. Happy New Year, sweet lady!

• Kharis (Jo)
    January 7, 2018

Happy New Year Tricia and congratulations on being the first MOTM for 2018. What an interesting and varied bunch we are! I remember and love your “Time’s run off” memoir, a poignant one I could certainly relate to. Best wishes for your writing and life this year and for the future.

• Tricia
      January 8, 2018

Jo, Thank you for these good wishes and for your always thoughtful and caring comments on my (and other’s!) sixes. Your insights are so appreciated and I truly love your writing. Happiest of new years to you!

Post a Comment